Keeping kids healthy starts from the ground up, with healthy feet and ankles. These complex, hardworking structures serve as a foundation for whole-body health. Regular podiatry care is essential—particularly in the early years of life, when the feet are at their most pliable and developing rapidly.
Making foot and ankle care as much a part of your children's healthcare regimen as routine eye exams, dental cleanings, and well-child checkups allows you to detect potential problems and have them treated before they become serious.
Is your child complaining of foot or ankle pain? Have you noticed a change in their gait, mobility, or activity levels? Are you looking for a knowledgeable, skilled, and caring podiatrist to help keep their feet on track? Look no further; you've come to the right place.
Comprehensive Care for Pediatric Feet and Ankles
You're committed to your children's health and, at Optimum Podiatry, we are, too. That's why we partner with parents and other caregivers to set even the youngest feet (and ankles) on a path to lifelong health.
Developing feet are subject to many of the same conditions as mature feet, as well as some that are particular to younger patients. Our exceptional pediatric podiatrist, Dr. Alvin Cowans, provides comprehensive care and adept treatment for foot or ankle issues that occur throughout your child's infancy, childhood, and teen years. Here are just a few of the children's foot and ankle issues we address at our Powder Springs podiatric practice:
- Flat feet
- Ingrown toenails
- Strains and sprains
- Plantar warts
- Heel pain
- Sever's disease (and other growth plate problems)
- Achilles tendonitis or tendonosis
- Short Achilles tendon
- Plantar fasciitis
- Broken bones
- Juvenile hammertoes
- Childhood bunions
- Fungal toenails
- Torn ligaments
- Congenital bony flatfoot (Vertical talus)
- Foot and ankle issues caused by bow leggedness (Tibial varum or vara)
- Knock-knee (Femoral anteversion) related foot and ankle problems
We Offer Wide-Ranging Solutions for Children's Foot and Ankle Issues
From routine podiatry care to congenital deformities, developmental issues, sports injuries, and beyond—we're here when you and your children's feet and ankles need us. Not only are we dedicated to providing gentle, effective solutions for pediatric podiatry problems, but we're continually incorporating advanced treatments and interventions into our practice to ensure that we can serve you best. Depending on your child's diagnosis, our treatment recommendations may include:
- R.I.C.E. – Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation for minor injuries
- Gait Analysis – evaluating your child's manner of walking to identify potential problems
- Shoe Review – making sure that the shoes your child wears are fit properly, provide appropriate support and cushioning, and are suitable for their favorite activities
- Exercise – stretching and strengthening exercises before and after activity make help kids avoid overuse, trauma, and sports-related injuries
- Padding or Taping – this tried-and-true traditional treatment can immobilize injuries and provide much-needed support and cushioning
- Custom Orthotics – made for your child's unique feet, custom orthotic devices provide personalized cushion and support precisely where they need it
- Surgical Interventions – when non-surgical treatments don't provide the desired results, Dr. Cowans can discuss a wide variety of surgical options to help your child get back on their feet
Helping Your Kids Put Their Best Feet Forward
At Optimum Podiatry, we know that seeing a doctor can be particularly difficult for young patients, which is why we go above and beyond to make your child feel comfortable, safe, and at ease throughout their treatment. Ready to find out how we can help your child put their best feet forward? Contact us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cowans.